GO ON A JOURNEY
’I want to show you who I see, I want to show you where I go. I’ve been filmed with a 360° camera so you will be able to access this virtual reality footage through our app. You will be able to scan the pictures and each picture will come alive. You will go on a journey, you will go to places, you will meet people and you will feel things, and I really believe you begin to understand what I am trying to say and do. I want to show you, and I want you to understand these people, and how important they are for you and me.’ - Jimmy Nelson
ABOUT THE APP
To accompany Jimmy’s books (Before They Pass Away and The Last Sentinels available soon!) and our foundation's free education program Cult-ED, Jimmy and his team created a 2019 Webby Award-winning mobile application; the Jimmy Nelson App. It is a remarkable record of their journeys with immersive 360º films, behind-the-scenes footage, storytelling and more.
With this app, developed by Fonk, you will be able to scan every image within the book. Scanning the image will enable you to step into the world behind the image, through your smartphone or iPad. Jimmy himself combined with beautiful video material will guide you through breathtaking footage, but above all uncovers the beauty of day-to-day life from all over the world. Scanning at least one-third of a chapter will reward you with access to the virtual gallery where you can watch 360º film all around you by moving your device. For the ultimate VR experience, you can place your smartphone in the Jimmy Nelson VR goggles provided with the book. It’s as if you are really there, discovering the world!
WATCH & MONITOR
3. Each picture reveals a new world of behind the scenes footage, remarkable stories and videos of Jimmy's journeys.
4. Monitor your progress to see how many pictures you have brought to life already and which ones still hold a story for you to discover.
VR GALLERY (only compatible with Homage to Humanity)
5. After you have scanned one-third of a chapter, you have unlocked the Virtual Reality gallery, giving you access to a unique 360º experience of that chapter.
6. For the ultimate VR adventure, insert your smartphone in the VR goggles provided with the book and transport yourself to Jimmy’s travels.
7. Look around you and indulge in fascinating cultures and faraway places. It’s as if you are really there, discovering the world!
Watch the explanation video above on this page, or drop a line to email@example.com. We will get back to you as soon as possible!
BEYOND THE BOOK
The Companion App goes beyond the book: it will recognize every Jimmy Nelson picture of Homage to Humanity and soon all books (!!!), so every picture you come across is scannable; on Cult-ED social media, exhibitions, magazines, websites and so on. So even without the book, if you download the app, you’ll be transported from the stunning Sarchop in the Himalayas of Bhutan, to the icy Tundra in the north of Siberia.